$10 per pay period (x 26 paychecks = $260) provides a princess makeover. $20 per pay period (x 26 paychecks = $520) provides furniture for a room redo.
Make-A-Wish Foundation of the Mid-Atlantic (Make A Wish Mid Atlantic)
Founded in 1983, Make-A-Wish® Mid-Atlantic has granted over 10,000 wishes of children fighting critical illnesses.
- For every wish granted, there is at least one local child waiting to receive a wish.
- The Mid-Atlantic chapter serves children who reside in the District of Columbia, Maryland and northern Virginia.
- Any child facing a critical illness who is between the ages of two and a half and under the age of 18 at the time of referral and who has not previously been granted a wish by any Make-A-Wish chapter or by any other wish-granting organization is eligible for a wish.
- Following referral, a certified medical professional must verify that the child has a critical illness. There are no other qualifications based on sex, race, religion, socioeconomic status or any other demographic category.
- More than 450 volunteers help the Mid-Atlantic chapter maintain its grassroots support by delivering the organization’s mission to seriously ill children.
- Make-A-Wish Mid-Atlantic is one of 60 Make-A-Wish chapters. Make-A-Wish America is located in Phoenix, AZ.
A child's wish can fall into one of five categories:
I wish...to be (eg. a zookeeper, a firefighter, a baker)
I wish...to meet (e.g., a favorite celebrity or athlete)
I wish...to have (e.g., a computer, a playset, a puppy)
I wish...to go (e.g., to a theme park, Hawaii, a major sporting event)
I wish...to give (e.g., a new set of uniforms to their classmates)
A wish granted creates a memorable experience for a child fighting a critical illness and gives the child something positive to think about instead of medical treatments and hospital visits.
For additional information about the organization and to get involved, please visit our website at www.midatlantic.wish.org.