Become a Member
National and local nonprofits from across the United States are members of America’s Charities, and we welcome the opportunity to discuss how we may partner with you.
Membership Criteria for National Nonprofit Organizations
Nonprofit membership eligibility is based on meeting standards for inclusion in the U.S. Federal Government’s Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) and other public sector workplace giving campaigns.
National nonprofits are eligible to apply for participation in the CFC. The CFC is the only authorized solicitation of employees in the Federal workplace on behalf of charitable organizations (5 CFR Part 950.102 (a).)
Once accepted as a nonprofit member, national members are also presented to private sector employers for inclusion in their campaigns. National members may also choose to participate in our State and Local Program, for an additional fee.
Overview of Three Types of Workplace Giving Campaigns:
(1) The Combined Federal Campaign (CFC)
- Established by the United States government in 1961 as a way for federal workers to support charity, the CFC has raised over $8.7 billion for nonprofits over the past 50 years.
- Approximately 9 million federal employees (civilian, military, postal workers, and retirees) are solicited annually. The CFC is not a single campaign though; rather it is made up of around 36 individual CFC campaigns throughout the country and overseas that normally take place between September 1 and December each year (exact period varies based on when OPM decides official dates and whether or not something like a government shutdown results with a campaign extension period).
- There is no need for members to make multiple applications, because America’s Charities makes a single application on your behalf for inclusion in all of the CFC campaigns.
(2) State and Local Public Sector Campaigns
- Workplace giving campaigns that include public employees paid through public funds (i.e. state, municipal, county, public school, public college, and university employees).
- Participating members benefit from the opportunity to have their charity listed in approximately 60 State and Local Campaigns annually in the public sector.
- Most states have unique registration requirements for charities that participate in any type of fundraising activity. You must be registered with the state before participating in campaigns within that state. America’s Charities’ Client Engagement Services team can walk you through the State and Local campaign program to see if it’s a good fit for your organization. Specific instructions on how to sign up for the program are available on your annual customized membership application, which becomes available between September - December each year.
(3) Private Sector Campaigns
- Workplace giving campaigns conducted annually by private corporations or organizations.
- Between private sector campaigns that list America’s Charities members as members, and private sector campaigns that America’s Charities manages, our members are presented to about 1 million employees in private sector campaigns each year.
America’s Charities Nonprofit Membership Application
Enrollment to apply for America's Charities membership typically takes place between October - December each year.
Here are some of the documents that must be submitted as part of the nonprofit membership application process (depending on type of membership selected).
- IRS 501(c)(3) Determination Letter
- IRS Form 990 (accrual method of accounting only)
- Financial Audit prepared in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS) (must be for same fiscal period as IRS Form 990)
- Detailed Description of Services for 15 or more states or one foreign country (National Members only)
- Detailed Description of Services for local Washington, D.C., area (Community First Members only)
- Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation
- Listing of Board of Directors
- Impact stories and narratives including 25- and 50-word descriptions, and a one-page description of services, for use in print and digital marketing
- Other documents may be required for participation in our State and Local Program