Our goal is to fund scientific research into treatments and cure of diabetes. Conducts screenings, education programs to save lives from blindness, kidney failure, amputations.
Diabetes Research & Wellness Foundation
Diabetes Research & Wellness Foundation fulfills its mission through the following:
- Providing funds for research grants to major institutions where we can facilitate ongoing projects especially research into islet cell transplantation. We review numerous grant proposals and to date, have funded grants at 30+ institutions across the country like Harvard Medical School's Joslin Diabetes Center and Schulze Diabetes Institute at the University of Minnesota, Diabetes Research Institute in Miami, FL, etc. DRWF has also provided funds to John Hopkins Wilmer Eye Free Screening Clinic in Baltimore, MD which provides free screening for diabetic retinopathy and laser treatment for those that require it.
- Providing free diabetes medical necklaces to people with diabetes. People with diabetes are urged to wear such identification because certain acute changes in their condition can cause them to lose their ability to communicative effectively thereby preventing or inhibiting their ability to help themselves.
- Education and supporting people with diabetes via community outreach programs at local various businesses and church groups.
- Providing diabetes self-management education via the monthly newsletter. Diabetes Wellness News is designed to provide both core knowledge of interest to those who have mastered basic self-management skills. Available by request is a pocket-size health diary in which notes about medications, blood sugar readings, exercise, and food intake can be recorded.
- Publications: Providing the Diabetes Weight Loss System, a sourcebook for people with diabetes who are overweight and looking for help in venturing into the world of healthy living. A newly published comprehensive, Diabetes Timeline was created to show the advancements that have been made through diabetes research.
- Producing Health Retreats / Expositions / Educational Sessions / Diabetes Transplant Summits, featuring speakers and exhibits in the area of diabetes and healthy living in order to provide information to diabetics through unique and motivating programs so that people feel empowered to make their own health care decisions. Researchers also speak to the group at their current research studies in curing diabetes.
- Provides diabetes literature on various diabetes topics by request and at community health fairs, church groups, support groups, businesses, etc as well as provide diabetes screenings at health fairs. Also, provides presentations to community groups, corporations, and government agencies.