James E. Starr
President and CEO
Jim Starr is president and CEO of America’s Charities, which inspires employees and organizations to support the causes they care about. Jim has set the organization’s focus to raise $1 billion for worthy causes by 2026, as well as its priorities enabling America’s Charities to reach that goal. He has led the expansion and growth of America’s Charities through strategic partnerships and expanding its service offerings. Jim is a frequent speaker and writer on topics covering corporate social responsibility, employee giving and volunteering, and employee assistance funds.
An accomplished leader with more than 30 years of experience and a proven track record in the nonprofit and healthcare sectors, Jim has served in national and field executive leadership roles with multi-million dollar revenue and expense targets. He also brings a wealth of experience in strategic planning, business development, and partnerships. Prior to joining America’s Charities, Jim served the mission of the American Red Cross in a variety of senior leadership roles that touched every aspect of Red Cross services. Preceding his work with the American Red Cross, Jim was a senior management consultant for a strategy consulting firm focused on the healthcare and government sectors.
Jim holds an MBA from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University and a BA in Organizational Communications from George Mason University.
Learn More From Jim:
- Watch America's Charities' President and CEO Jim Starr and SmartSimple's Senior Platform Solution Manager Dan Eardley discuss what Employee Assistance Funds (EAFs) are, what they're not, and some common use cases from organizations that host EAFs.
- See Jim chat with Marathon Strategies about the pandemic’s impact on giving levels. This is the first episode of Marathon Strategies' new Word Off the Street series, where they chat with leaders to learn how companies and nonprofits are adapting to the coronavirus.
- Check out Jim's interview in HRCI, the premier credentialing organization for the HR profession, about the do's and don'ts of corporate holiday giving.
- Read Jim's quotes in the Chronicle of Philanthropy article about the evolution of workplace giving. (Subscription required.)
- Read BBB Wise Giving Alliance's feature interview with Jim about America's Charities' unique and sustainable approach to collaboration.
- Listen to Jim and America's Charities' Immediate Past Board Chair and partner George Weiner discuss the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) on the Whole Whale podcast:
- Watch Jim and Ron Vassallo with our partner Kaptivate in this video podcast series discuss the ways nonprofits can maximize their engagement in workplace giving campaigns like the CFC. Jim is featured in several videos; keep clicking to watch them all or find the topic most relevant to you.