James E. Starr
President and CEO
Jim Starr is president and CEO of America's Charities, which inspires employees and organizations to support causes they care about.
An accomplished leader with more than 25 years of experience and a proven record of accomplishment in the nonprofit and healthcare sectors, Jim has served in national and field executive leadership roles with multi-million dollar revenue and expense targets. He has led efforts to bring corporations and nonprofits together in meaning and impactful ways. He also brings a wealth of experience in strategic planning, business development, and partnerships.
Prior to joining America’s Charities in December 2014, Jim served the mission of the American Red Cross where his significant career accomplishments include establishing and leading a comprehensive enterprise-wide volunteer engagement strategy, including furthering the engagement of corporate partner volunteers, community partners and board members. Jim also served as Division Vice President of Humanitarian Services, where he was responsible for the provision of Red Cross services in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and the Caribbean, and worked with a fundraising team and local boards of directors to raise approximately $65 million in revenue annually. He led the Red Cross Greater Alleghenies Blood Region as CEO with a $65 million P/L accountability and was responsible for collecting and distributing over 230,000 units of blood products each year in support of 100 hospitals in his seven state geographic region. He served as Chief of Staff and Chief Strategist to the President and CEO of the Red Cross, supervising the Office of the President and serving as a trusted advisor and spokesperson for the CEO, playing an active role in the management of the organization and acting as a principal liaison to the Board of Governors. As Vice President of Corporate Strategy, Jim led the creation of the enterprise-wide strategic plan and scorecard.
Prior to his work with the American Red Cross, Jim was a Senior Management consultant for a strategy consulting firm focused on the healthcare and government sectors, where he led and supported numerous engagements ranging from healthcare system creation, joint venture development, and performance improvement.
Jim holds a Masters of Business Administration from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University and a Bachelors of Arts degree in Organizational Communications from George Mason University.
Learn More From Jim:
- Jim chats with Marathon Strategies about the pandemic’s impact on giving levels. This is the first episode of Marathon Strategies' new Word Off the Street series, where they chat with leaders to learn how companies and nonprofits are adapting to the coronavirus.
- Check out Jim's interview in HRCI, the premier credentialing organization for the HR profession, about the do's and don'ts of corporate holiday giving.
- Read Jim's quotes in the Chronicle of Philanthropy article about the evolution of workplace giving. (Subscription required.)
- Read BBB Wise Giving Alliance's feature interview with Jim about America's Charities' unique and sustainable approach to collaboration.
- Listen to Jim and America's Charities' Immediate Past Board Chair and partner George Weiner discuss the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) on the Whole Whale podcast: