Our services enrich the quality of life for children and adults with disabilities through arts education and access to music, drama, dance, visual and literary arts.
VSA arts of Texas
VSA Texas, the state organization on arts and disabilities, challenges perceptions of how people contribute by creating an arts-inspired, inclusive community of individuals with diverse abilities.
The organization delivers excellent cultural, professional, educational and public awareness services:
- ARTISTS: Providing opportunities for artists in all disciplines to pursue a career in the arts
- YOUTH: Giving young adults a window into the world of world of college, community and work
- EDUCATORS: Building classrooms with a creative outlook on learning
- ACCESS: Stimulating an inclusive arts community in Texas.
- Exhibitions featuring the work of artists with disabilities in Texas for 10 years;
- Body Shift: A Mixed Ability Dance Initiative, in partnership with Forklift Danceworks
- Sight Sound Soul, universal design in the performing arts concert;
- Disability From Real to Reel Film Festival;
- The Stranger, a production by Divadlo z Pasaze (Slovakia) and Jump-Start Performance Company, San Antonio;
- The Materiality of Impermanence by breast cancer survivor Sharon Marroquin; "The Thing That Ate my Brain...Almost Perishable Theater Co. (Rhode Island) at FronteraFest in Austin;
- Wings Are Given to All, national tour by Deaf Theater Company from Russia with performances in Toronto, Santa Fe, Denver, Austin, Washington DC and Boston
- First organization in U.S.A. to provide audio description of Cirque du Soleil
- U.S. Dept. of Education Professional Development Grant, in partnership with Ysleta ISD (El Paso), to implement Ysleta Arts Alive
- Two-year Texas Education Agency grant to assess pre-school bi-lingual learners through the arts
- Five-year competitive grant from Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities to support young artists with disabilities.
- Four-year competitive grant from Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities to implement speaker training program for self-advocates in Texas
- Produced The Art of Audio Description, video training series
Awards and Recognitions:
- Martha Arbuckle Meritorious Service Award, Austin Mayor's Committee for People with Disabilities
- Bert Kruger Smith Vision Award, 2012 AGE of Central Texas;
- VSA Affiliate Council's Ginny Miller Award for Mentorship, 2010;
- National Award for Excellence in Organizational Management, VSA, 2008;
- National Award for Educational Arts Programming, VSA, 2006;
- Award for Inclusive Arts Programs, Follow the Dream; Texas Parks and Recreation Association, 2005;
- Award for Excellence in Cultural Access & Inclusive Arts Services, VSA, 2005;
- Award for Disability Advocacy, by Sister Cities International (Benbrook), 2004; Award for School Collaboration, Ysleta Arts Alive, VSA, 2004;
- Austin Critics Table Award, Outstanding Touring Show, Spatial Theory, Bill T. Shannon, 2004;
- Best Theatrical Activism, Actual Lives, The Austin Chronicle, 2003