Just $8 per pay period gives the warmth, confidence and hope of a brand new winter coat to 10 children each year, helping them get to school with pride on cold winter days.
Coronavirus Impact and Needs:
While it's too early to know how much Coronavirus will impact Operation Warm, we know there will be more families in need in the fall and demand for coats will very likely go up, as it did in 2008-2011. Help Operation Warm prepare by making a donation now. Click here to learn more about Operation Warm's mission and impact.
Operation Warm provides warmth, confidence, and hope to children in need through the gift of brand new winter coats. A brand new coat offers a child physical and emotional warmth, the confidence to socialize and succeed, and hope of a brighter future.
We are a national organization that began in 1998 when our founder, Dick Sanford, purchased 58 coats for local kids in eastern Pennsylvania. Since then, we have expanded to cover all of North America and have provided a gift of warmth to over 3 million children. Last year we served 405,000 children across the US and Canada, but the need is so much greater. Over 14 million American children live in poverty.
In 2019, we celebrate our 21st year of partnering with community organizations, corporations, foundations and compassionate individuals. For our partners, who act as extensions of our mission into their communities, we're "more than a coat!"
- We provide warmth, of course. But our brand new coats also provide confidence from pride in ownership of a good looking, colorful coat that kids choose themselves, and hope from the understanding that someone in their community cares about them.
- We help kids get to school regardless of the weather, to gain an education on even the coldest days, and to receive meals and other support services only available in schools.
- We grow volunteer networks in communities and companies through hands-on events that allow volunteers to see the impact of their time and effort in the eyes of a child.
- Our brand new coats are a gateway to schools, organizations and services. Gifting our coats dramatically increases participation in health fairs, outreach initiatives and community events.
- We connect community members, pairing organizations like Rotarians, faith-based groups and firefighters with high need public schools and children’s service organizations.
- Our newest program, "A Warm Welcome to the Library", connects families with their local local library through coat and book gifting celebrations held at libraries across the U.S.