Our services enrich the quality of life for children and adults with disabilities through arts education and access to music, drama, dance, visual and literary arts.
Art Spark Texas (formerly VSA Texas)
Coronavirus Impact and Needs:
Visit Art Spark Texas' website for the latest information about class schedules and cancellations. Help sustain their operations by making a donation.
Art Spark Texas (formerly VSA Texas), the state organization on arts and disabilities, challenges perceptions of how people contribute by creating an arts-inspired, inclusive community of individuals with diverse abilities.
We do this through excellent cultural and educational programs and services:
ARTISTS: Opportunities for artists in all disciplines to pursue a career.
YOUTH: Opening a window onto the world of creative work and community.
EDUCATORS: Building classrooms with a creative outlook on learning.
ACCESS: Advocating for inclusive arts-inspired communities.
- Exhibitions featuring the work of artists with disabilities for over 20 years
- Distinguished Artist Veterans programs for over 10 years
- Professional creative and educational opportunities for young adults with diverse abilities for 17 years
- Mobile Art classes for adults with dementia and other aging related disabilities
- Body Shift: A Mixed Ability Dance Initiative for over 12 years
- On Display Celebration of International Day of Persons with Disabilities with Heidi Latsky, 3 years
- Art in the Park partnership with City of Austin Parks and Recreation for 30 years
- Leader in international creative partnerships with groups such as Divadlo z Pasaze (Slovakian theater group), Wings Are Given to All (Russian Deaf Theater Company) and Din A 13 tanzcompanie (German Dance residency).
- First organization in U.S.A. to provide audio description of Cirque du Soleil
- Produced The Art of Audio Description, video training series, and provided training for describers across the US and internationally
Awards and Recognitions
- Governor’s Trophy, Governor’s Committee on People with Disabilities; 2014
- Martha Arbuckle Meritorious Service, Mayor's Committee for People with Disabilities; 2012
- Bert Kruger Smith Vision Award, AGE of Central Texas; 2012
- VSA Affiliate Council's Ginny Miller Award for Mentorship; 2009
- National VSA Award for Excellence in Organizational Management, 2008
- National VSA Award for Educational Arts Programming; 2006
- Inclusive Arts Programs, Follow the Dream; TX Parks and Recreation; 2006
- Excellence in Cultural Access & Inclusive Arts Services; 2005
- Disability Advocacy, by Sister Cities International (Benbrook); 2004
- Austin Critics Table Award, Outstanding Touring Show, Bill T. Shannon; 2004
- Best Theatrical Activism, Actual Lives, The Austin Chronicle; 2003